Our Green Commitment
The world is fast becoming a more fragile home to us all and as a species we have a collective responsibility to secure it’s future by taking greater care of our environment. We are constantly looking for ways to be more environmentally friendly and are delighted to have been awarded the Silver Award from the Green Tourism Business Scheme. To qualify for the award we were scrutinized by a qualified Sustainability assessor on a range of criteria including water and energy efficiency, waste management, biodiversity and a whole lot more. Here is just a taste of some of the things we do to be more green.
- Use of energy efficient LED light bulbs throughout the building, motion detectors where appropriate.
- All our electrical equipment is energy rated as A or above.
- Zone controlled heating with thermostatic valves on all radiators powered by modern, energy efficient boilers.
- Toiletries and cleaning products are purchased in bulk to reduce plastic waste
- Glass bottles of tap water which are refilled when required. We have stopped using plastic bottles.
- All our toilets are either fitted with a half flush or have a water saving device in the cistern. All rooms have showers.
- We encourage our guests to reuse their towels by clearly displaying a “Green Towel” policy in every bathroom.
- All our waste and that of our guests is sorted by us for appropriate recycling.
- Food waste is kept to an absolute minimum by use of a pre-order breakfast menu.
- Wherever possible we reuse or upcycle furniture. What we are unable to use is often donated to local charities.
- A small centrally located fridge with fresh milk has removed the need for individual plastic pots of UHT milk.
- A garden butt provides for the watering of our outdoor pots. The hotter part of our courtyard garden is planted with species which cope with less water.
- Bee friendly flowering plants together with a Bee Hotel in our garden encourage biodiversity.
- We provide secure storage for cycles.
- A selection of maps, local walking/cycling trails and British wildlife books are available for the use of our guests.
Accreditations and awards
A short drive to Galashiels took us to the 5 Star visitor attraction - The Great Tapestry of Scotland. Housed in a purpose-built visitor centre in the heart of Galashiels the Tapestry tells the story of Scotland's history, heritage, innovations and culture. A...
We are delighted to be part of Visit Kelso's campaign to become the Wellbeing capital of Scotland! In partnership with other businesses, we aim to ensure everyone is taken well care of during their stay. Our Guest House has a lending library and a good supply of...
We love free entry to a historic hidden gem and Torwoodlee Tower was easy to find using one of the many Scottish Borders Council books. The "Paths around Galashiels" guide directs you to start in Clovenfords, follow the easy instructions to arrive at the long ,...